Sunday, March 3, 2019

IOC PRACTICE

My Recording: https://vocaroo.com/i/s0vHgzGGlBBD
My Self Evaluation:
For Criteria A, Knowledge and Understanding of Text or Extract, I believe I would give myself a 5. I know I don't deserve higher because of my inability to properly communicate the relations of everything within the story, but I did show some awareness of the story, its progression and was able to reference particular parts to somewhat back up my point. Ultimately focusing on a single or just two point would better my ability to express the aspects of my understanding, rather than just giving general overviews.
For Criteria B, Understanding of the Use and Effect of Literary Features, I would give myself a 6. I give myself this score because I was able to demonstrate my understanding of Ishiguro's use of literary features, but like the previous criteria, my explanations of them were limited by an attempt to bring in many points but also just my general nervousness limited me as well. Knowing myself, focusing on just one literary device I'd easily fill the time constraints of the IOC so limiting my points would assist me in this criteria
For Criteria C, Organization, I give my self a 3 because I made clear attempts at connecting the points, with one leading into another but failed to present a clear conclusion to summarize the points. Ultimately this one would have been assisted with more planning on my sheet as to what exactly I would talk about so that it would be all I talk about.
For Criteria D, Language, I will give myself a 2. My difficulty speaking and constructing sentences is exemplified most when I am nervous and this was just what happened in this practice. I switched the direction of sentences halfway through, failed at the pronunciation of some words and overall had difficulty summarizing the points creating long drawn out run on sentences.

7 comments:

  1. Hey. I really liked hearing your IOC Practice. It's good that you are speaking clearly, but I suggest speaking a little bit faster so it is not considered as hesitation and stuttering. I liked how you included some context but I would goo a little bore in depth and kind of explaining it more. Also starting off with a thesis would be a good idea in order to capture everything you are going to talk about, which helps the listener get in the mindset of the book and kind of narrow in to your argument. If you state a quote from that passage, it's always a good idea to say what line it can be found, kind of like a citation. Also, if you mention a quotes, you should identify a literary devices to help support your claim. I know it's hard but you could try to limit the pauses that you take. I would recommend kind of zooming out from the passage/excerpt. I would also recommend utilizing the conclusion to kind of summarize what you talked about. Overall, some suggestions, but good job, you got this, I believe in you, YOU CAN DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mae- I enjoyed your IOC. I definitely think you have a solid foundation to work from. I thought your introduction was nicely done, particularly your initial contextualization of the story- personally, I completely forgot to summarize my book, so major props to you on that front. I agree with Marina about your quotes- if you're pulling one in, even if it's as simple as diction or tone, I'd try and identify the figurative language used. Overall, though, you seem to have things under control and a handy grasp on the structure of your text, which is arguably the most valuable thing for one's IOC session. As always, I think you speak gorgeously. I'll be thinking of you during this stressful AF period but am not worried- you are clearly too competent and capable to concern yourself with your IOC. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mae!! I loved how you gave context of the book for your IOC, I also agree with Marina and Anne Ross and you should identify the literary devices that could really help you when trying to prove your claim. Overall you did a good job and don't stress too much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Mae! I enjoyed listening to your orale practice. I noticed that you spoke clearly and effectively which was very nice. I like the introduction that you offer, it was precise and straight to the point. I agree with the comments above in that you could identify the techniques used so that we may know what you're talking about. Also I think it would be helpful to have another piece of paper to write on or something to collect all of your thoughts from the extract to have it ready during the orale. A little checklist would help with your organization part. Overall, I think this was very well done. I understand that it is extremely nerve racking and that you're nervous however I heard a BIG improvement in your speaking skills so good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mae, I also enjoyed your IOC. I agree with the other comments, you mainly lacked orginzation. You had very solid points but didnt have much depth. Something that might help you is to write the different literary devices as you read so when you began the IOC you dont forget to mention them. Overall nicely done, you're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mae:
    Remember that this is an analysis of the passage, so spend a brief amount of time summarizing the text and a brief amount of time summarizing the passage- this should be about 1 minute MAX. Additionally, be sure to establish a thesis that gives the purpose of the passage and HOW it's developed. That's what you want to discuss- a lot of your commentary veers on just paraphrasing and no actual analysis of what Ishiguro is doing, HOW he's doing it (techniques) and WHY he's doing it (the effect on reader). Your peers provide good feedback to use as you review before your commentary on Tuesday.

    A: 3
    B: 2
    C: 2
    D: 3

    ReplyDelete